Hyperion is a reporting tool for users who need to create or significantly modify existing queries on a frequent basis. Users can access Data Warehouse table views and build customized reports to meet analytic needs.
Please note that the support for Hyperion is limited at this time. However, the UCSB Enterprise Data Services team recognizes that the use of Hyperion is essential for planning, analysis, and financial reporting across campus, and will continue to support questions and issues to the best of our abilities. Keep in mind that departmental IT support can help with installation and the troubleshooting guides are provided in the sections below.
11/09/2022 Update for Hyperion Web Users:
Hyperion Web reports will be migrated to Power BI over the next months. We are working closely with Hyperion Web users to replicate the existing Hyperion reports in Power BI so that they function as well or better than the original reports. For more information, please reference the memos in the news section or check out the FAQs about the Hyperion Web Report Transition to Power BI.
Prior to Hyperion 9.3.1, there was no equivalent for the HTML report. With Hyperion 9.3.1, users can view and process standard reports without the installation of a plug-in. There is less flexibility to modify queries, but users can enter parameters, print reports, and export to Excel.
Formerly known as Brio, this plug-in can accommodate complex query and report formatting features in a browser that are beyond the functionality of HTML. Installing the plug-in requires an administrator password during the process. The plug-in must be reinstalled when using a new computer or an upgraded browser.
Supported Browsers for the Interactive Reporting Web Client
Install the Plug-In Manually for IE or Firefox
Install the Interactive Reporting Web Client for Internet Explorer (PC Only)
Install the Interactive Reporting Web Client for Firefox (PC Only)
Macintosh Remote Desktop Instructions for Interactive Reporting Web Client
Formerly known as Desktop Brio, the Hyperion Studio desktop client provides maximum flexibility. Users can connect to multiple databases in a single query and create connections to non-Data Warehouse servers and databases. The annual maintenance cost is $225.
Step 1: Download and Install Hyperion Studio 9.3.1.
Step 2: Set up an ODBC connection to the Data Warehouse Server
Step 3: Set up an Open Catalog Extension (OCE)
Step 4: Open Hyperion and Connect to Your Database
Step 5: Documentation and Clean-up
Bonus: How to Change the OCE of a Document
Macintosh users do not have to install the Hyperion plug-in on the Terminal Server; however, it is critical to set the "default open format preference" when opening the Hyperion Workspace for the first time. The preference is saved with the login.
Brio Insight vs Hyperion Interactive Reporting, 5 minutes
For users already familiar with Brio. Demonstrates main differences between Brio Insight and the new Hyperion client.
How to Import a Locally Saved Brio 6 File (.bqy) to the Hyperion Workspace, 6 minutes
For users already familiar with Brio who saved queries and reports to their local workstation/file server. Demonstration shows how to import those files into the Hyperion Workspace and share them with other users (or not). Step by step documentation is also available in the Hyperion 9 How to Import Brio 6.6 Queries into the Hyperion Workspace.
Hyperion Interactive Reporting Web Client Basics, 7:20 minutes
Intended for Hyperion beginners. Demonstrates how to open and process a standard report. Also includes printing, exporting to PDF and exporting to Excel. Step by step documentation is also available in the Hyperion 9 Interactive Reporting Web Client Tutorial Guide (PDF).
Saving a Report to Your Personal Folder in the Hyperion Workspace, 3:46 minutes
For Hyperion users who know how to modify a standard report or create their own report. Demonstration shows how to save a new or modified query/report into your personal folder in the Hyperion Workspace. See the next tutorial for instructions on saving a report to your department folder. Step by step documentation is also available in the Hyperion 9 Guide to Managing Personal Reports in the Hyperion Workspace.
Saving a Report to Your Department Folder in the Hyperion Workspace, 7 minutes
For Hyperion users who know how to modify a standard report or create their own report. Demonstration shows how to save a new or modified query/report into your department folder in the Hyperion Workspace. Includes details on how to set permissions so others can view your reports. Step by step documentation is also available in the Hyperion 9 Guide to Managing Personal Reports in the Hyperion Workspace.
Hyperion Basics of HTML Reports, 7:06 minutes
For beginning or Macintosh Hyperion users. Demonstration shows how to process a standard query, print the report and export raw results to Excel. HTML reports do not require plug-in installation but a Data Warehouse/Hyperion login is required. Step by step documentation is also available in the Hyperion 9 Basics of HTML Reports.
CHART OF ACCOUNTS
- Fin Dept Code Listing
- Loc-Account-Fund (LAF) Listing
- Object Code Listing
- Object Code Rollup Listing
- Organization Hierarchy Inquiry Report by Fin Dept Code
- Organization Hierarchy Report
- Depreciated Value (Calculations Report) - All
- Depreciated Value (Calculations Report) - Asset
- Inventory Asset Report
- Inventory Disposed Report
- Inventory Report
- Inventory Report by Building
- Inventory Write-Off List
FINANCIAL - General Ledger
- Balances Starter
- Detail Starter
- Detail Transaction Report
- Detail Transaction Report with Balances
- Expenditure Inquiry Report by Reference No
- Investigator Awards
- Loc-Account-Fund (LAF) Balance Report by Principal Investigator
- Loc-Account-Fund (LAF) Balance Report for Inception-to-Date (ITD) Funds
- Loc-Account-Fund (LAF) Balance Report for Year-to-Date (YTD) Funds
- Loc-Account-Fund (LAF) Overdraft Report
- Loc-Account-Fund-Sub (LAFS) Balance Report for Inception-to-Date (ITD) Funds
- Loc-Account-Fund-Sub (LAFS) Balance Report for Year-to-Date (YTD) Funds
- (Multi-Year) Expenditure Comparison Report
- (Multi-Year) Financial Comparison Report
- Object Code Rollup Report
- Object Code Summary Report
- Principal Investigator Fund Balance Report
FINANCIAL - Payroll Ledger
- Payroll Expense Inquiry Report by Employee
- Payroll Expense Report
- Payroll Starter
- Payroll Expense Inquiry Report by Employee ID
FINANCIAL - Pending Transactions
- Pending Ledger Transactions by Account-Fund
- Pending Ledger Transactions by Description
- Pending Ledger Transactions by Ref No
FINANCIAL - Transfer of Expense
Printing from Hyperion in Internet Explorer seems to have taken a nosedive in Windows 10. The main symptoms include not printing anything the first time the print command is issued and then not printing landscape reports in landscape mode, even when changing the setting in the print dialogue box.
The workaround is to generate a PDF and then print the PDF. To do this:
- From the File menu select Export-->Section...
- Change the Save As Type to PDF (*.pdf)
- Save the PDF where you can find it.
- Open the PDF and print.
This section contains troubleshooting help for customers who were successfully using the Hyperion plug-in from their browser and then suddenly it stopped working. If you have never used Hyperion, please see the instructions for installing the plug-in.
Symptom 1: Login page displays but repeatedly says "invalid user or password"
Unless you have forgotten your login and/or password, this unhelpful message appears when Hyperion cannot find the Data Warehouse due to network interruption. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org to report the problem.
If you would like to test the network, use the test login "pubs2user" and password "sushi4us" for connectivity. If the test login and password works, try resetting your password.
Symptom 2: The login page does not appear or the report catalog does not display properly or reports will not open
We have found three solutions to the browser compatibility issue:
- IE 11 (compatibility view) - Your browser may have been updated in a stealth Windows update. We have found the Hyperion 9 plug-in works in IE 11 (compatibility view) and IE 8.
- Downgrade from IE 9, or 10 in Windows 7 (administrator privileges required)
- Navigate to Control Panel --> Programs --> Uninstall A Program.
- Click on "View Installed Updates" in the sidebar.
- Find Internet Explorer 9/10/11 in the right-hand list view. Right-click on it and choose "Uninstall."
- IE 8 and the previously installed Hyperion plug-in should still be installed and should not require reinstallation.
- To prevent future automatic upgrades, google "IE 11 blocker" or use the links below:
IE 9 Blocker download
IE 10 Blocker download
- Remote Desktop to our Terminal Server
- Contact email@example.com to request a Terminal Server account.
- The Remote Desktop application is included with Windows and does not need to be installed. Remote Desktop is typically located in the Accessories folder:
Start Menu --> All Programs --> Accessories-->Remote Desktop Connection
Right-click on the Remote Desktop icon in the Start Menu to pin it to your Task bar or Start menu.
- Launch Remote Desktop Connection.
- Type tc-pub-wh.tc.isc.ucsb.edu in for "Computer."
- Click on "Show Options."
- Select the Local Resources tab and make sure that "Printers" are ticked on so you will be able to print to your default printer from our terminal server.
- Click on the More... button and then tick the "Drives" option so that you can export spreadsheets to your local workstation from our terminal server. Click "OK."
- Click "Connect."
- Click or tick any subsequent boxes OK/Connect/Trust/Do Not Ask Again for any warnings about connecting to tc-pub-wh.tc.isc.ucsb.edu.
- When prompted, enter your Remote Desktop login and password in the logon box and set the "Log On To" to TERMINALSERVER.
- After connecting, IE 8 will launch and display the Data Warehouse home page. Click on Hyperion Logon button as usual and enter your Hyperion logon and password.
- When you are done using Hyperion on the Terminal Server, choose "Logoff" from the Start menu.